Time to play modal! The Root Shift is a modulation that takes any incoming CV and shifts the root of your quantization mask. The result is a dramatic change in the song mood, but if you route the same CV to the Pitch Shift modulation, you will transpose the whole scale!
- 1 USTA
- 1 SAPÈL
- 1 FALISTRI
- 1 FUMANA
- 1 333
- 1 CGM
- External effects (optional)
- Set up a basic USTA patch, or whatever you like (in this case, we are using something similar to the Raw CV Technique).
- Set up the GTB channel of the first Track to output a gate only on the first stage of the whole sequence.
- Patch the Track 1 GTB output to SAPÈL’s Clock Input.
- Patch SAPÈL’s 2ⁿ output to USTA’s CVA input.
- Enter the Track Menu.
- Scroll until the Root Shift menu item and assign it to CVA.
(Now the voltages generate by SAPÈL are randomly shifting the root note of the quantization scale in use every time the sequence restarts, but not the melody.)
- Scroll until the PitchShift menu item and assign it to CVA, too.
(Now both the root note and the melody are shifted by SAPÈL’s voltages: the result is an actual transpose of the sequence at every new loop.)